Who shouldnt take magnesium citrate?
Table of Contents
- Who shouldnt take magnesium citrate?
- Can magnesium citrate pass through breast milk?
- Is magnesium citrate safe for infants?
- Can too much magnesium harm your baby?
- What drugs are contraindicated with magnesium citrate?
- What medications should you not take with magnesium?
- Can I breastfeed while on magnesium sulfate?
- How much magnesium can you take while breastfeeding?
- How fast does magnesium citrate work in kids?
- Is magnesium safe for kids?
- Is it safe to give my child magnesium citrate?
- What are the side effects of taking magnesium citrate?
- How long after taking magnesium citrate can you have a bowel movement?
- What foods to avoid when taking citrate of magnesium?
Who shouldnt take magnesium citrate?
People taking any medication should speak to their doctor before using magnesium citrate. People should not use magnesium citrate if they have rectal bleeding. People who have had certain procedures or have specific medical issues should also avoid magnesium citrate.
Can magnesium citrate pass through breast milk?
Oral absorption of magnesium by the infant is poor, so maternal magnesium citrate is not expected to affect the breastfed infant's serum magnesium. Magnesium citrate can be taken during breastfeeding and no special precautions are required.
Is magnesium citrate safe for infants?
Children 6 to under 12 years of age: Use ml of magnesium citrate with a full glass of water; it may be taken as a single dose or divided doses. Children 2 to under 6 years of age: Use 60 to 90 ml of magnesium citrate; it may be taken as a single dose or divided doses with a maximum dose of 90 ml in 24 hours.
Can too much magnesium harm your baby?
In a baby, magnesium toxicity can cause low muscle tone. This is caused by poor muscle control and low bone density. These conditions can put a baby at greater risk for injuries, such as bone fractures, and even death.
What drugs are contraindicated with magnesium citrate?
Serious Interactions of Magnesium Citrate include:
- potassium phosphates, intravenously.
What medications should you not take with magnesium?
Taking magnesium with these medications might cause blood pressure to go too low. Some of these medications include nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan), diltiazem (Cardizem), isradipine (DynaCirc), felodipine (Plendil), amlodipine (Norvasc), and others.
Can I breastfeed while on magnesium sulfate?
Magnesium sulfate can be taken during breastfeeding and no special precautions are required.
How much magnesium can you take while breastfeeding?
The answer is simple: mothers pass the mineral to their breastfed children only partially. Therefore, the German Nutrition Society (DGE) and the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB)* recommend that breastfeeding mothers should have a daily magnesium intake of 390 mg.
How fast does magnesium citrate work in kids?
Magnesium citrate should produce a bowel movement within 30 minutes to 6 hours after you take the medicine.
Is magnesium safe for kids?
Excessive use of magnesium supplements can be toxic. In addition to what you get from food, the highest dose you should take of magnesium supplements is: 65 mg/day for children ages 1-3. 110 mg/day for children ages 4-8.
Is it safe to give my child magnesium citrate?
- Magnesium citrate may interact with other medications your child takes so be sure to let your child's doctor and pharmacist know what medicines your child takes on a regular basis 2 3. If your child has nerve disease, kidney disease or myasthenia gravis, do not give her magnesium citrate without speaking with her doctor first 2 3.
What are the side effects of taking magnesium citrate?
- You may experience gas, a bubbling feeling in your stomach, and mild stomach cramps while the magnesium citrate is taking effect. If you don't have a bowel movement after taking magnesium citrate, call your doctor because it could be a sign of some other condition. 6 Call your doctor if you have any severe side effects.
How long after taking magnesium citrate can you have a bowel movement?
- Take this medicine with a full glass of water. Magnesium citrate should produce a bowel movement within 30 minutes to 6 hours after you take the medicine. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 7 days of treatment, or if the medicine produces no results.
What foods to avoid when taking citrate of magnesium?
- Avoid whole grains (like brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta), nuts, legumes, fruits with skin or seeds, and tough meats because they can clog up your digestive tract. As for vegetables, canned or cooked veggies without skins like mushrooms, peeled carrots, peeled cucumbers, peeled potatoes, turnips, and asparagus tips are all good options.