Which statin does not affect memory?
Table of Contents
- Which statin does not affect memory?
- How common is memory loss with statins?
- What are the safest statins to take?
- What can I take instead of statins?
- Can rosuvastatin affect memory?
- Does atorvastatin cause memory problems?
- Can long-term use of statins cause dementia?
- Are statin drugs linked to dementia?
- Which cholesterol lowering drug is the safest?
- What is the best statin drug on the market?
- What are the side effects of statins?
- What medicines cause memory loss?
- What are the problems with statin drugs?
- Does simvastatin cause memory loss?
Which statin does not affect memory?
No adverse events such as memory loss or confusion were reported to be more common with pravastatin use compared with placebo. In the Heart Protection Study (HPS), simvastatin (40 mg daily) was compared with placebo in 20,536 participants (35).
How common is memory loss with statins?
People who took any kind of cholesterol drug—a statin or some other type—were nearly four times more likely to report memory loss right after starting on the drug, compared with people who didn't take any kind of cholesterol drug.Shaw. 21, 1436 AH
What are the safest statins to take?
Atorvastatin (Lipitor), simvastatin and pravastatin were the most commonly used statins among participants. Simvastatin and pravastatin had the best safety profile, according to this review.Ram. 1, 1434 AH
What can I take instead of statins?
7 cholesterol-lowering alternatives to statins
- Fibrates. Mostly used for lowering triglyceride levels in patients whose levels are very high and could cause pancreatitis. ...
- Plant stanols and sterols. ...
- Cholestyramine and other bile acid-binding resins. ...
- Niacin. ...
- Policosanol. ...
- Red yeast rice extract (RYRE) ...
- Natural products.
Can rosuvastatin affect memory?
Memory loss and cognitive impairment have been reported in the literature in association with several 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors (statins), but we found no published case reports associated with rosuvastatin.
Does atorvastatin cause memory problems?
The FDA warns on statin labels that some people have developed memory loss or confusion while taking statins. These side effects reverse once you stop taking the medication.
Can long-term use of statins cause dementia?
Four studies evaluated the association between long-term statin use (>3 years) and dementia risk. The overall pooled RR was RR 0.37 (95% CI 0.19–0.73). Five studies also estimated dementia risk in patients with a medium-long exposure of statins (2–3 years). The overall RR was 0.66 (95% CI 0.52–0.83).Saf. 2, 1441 AH
Are statin drugs linked to dementia?
The researchers found that of 300 older adults with mildly impaired thinking and memory, those using "lipophilic" statins were more likely to develop dementia over the next eight years. Lipophilic statins include such widely used medications as simvastatin (Zocor), atorvastatin (Lipitor) and lovastatin (Altoprev).Dhuʻl-Q. 5, 1442 AH
Which cholesterol lowering drug is the safest?
Still, all in all, the statins are the safest and best tolerated of all cholesterol-lowering medications.Jum. I 8, 1435 AH
What is the best statin drug on the market?
Statins lower cholesterol levels through inhibition of HMG-CoA reductase. The synthetic and natural statins have essentially equivalent efficacy at improving the lipid profile. However, in patients who do not achieve their LDL goals, atorvastatin and simvastatin may be the best choices for initial therapy.Muh. 1, 1423 AH
What are the side effects of statins?
- The most common side effects of statins are muscle weakness, muscle pain and muscle inflammation. It's usually felt as a soreness, tiredness or weakness in your muscles.
What medicines cause memory loss?
- Here is a list of common pharmaceutical medications that can cause memory loss: Parkinson ’s drugs — scopolamine, atropine, glycopyrrolate. Epilepsy drugs — phenytoin or Dilantin. Painkillers — heroin, morphine, codeine . Sleeping pills — Ambien , Lunesta , Sonata. Benzodiazepines — Valium , Xanax , Ativan , Dalmane .
What are the problems with statin drugs?
- Adverse effects of statin drugs include muscle problems, nerve damage in hands and feet, immune depression, pancreas and liver dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, cataracts, memory loss, and an increased risk of cancer.
Does simvastatin cause memory loss?
- While most people tolerate simvastatin ( Zocor®) well, side effects can occur. Memory loss (known medically as amnesia) is a rare side effect that occurs in less than 1 percent of people taking the drug. Because memory loss with simvastatin occurs so infrequently, it is difficult to know whether it is actually...